Sunday, May 2, 2010

Camping in Carlsbad



Spent the weekend camping at S. Carlsbad Beach and it was beautiful! And of course, I forgot my camera so these pictures were taken with my iphone. Not bad considering. Relaxation was the main goal and I think we conquered it. Didn't diet, didn't exercise :(, didn't do much of anything. Loved every minute of it (except the not exercising). We loved it so much that we are going to attempt to get away every month with our camper. Near or far, it doesn't matter.

On another note, today was a day that Ryan told me he didn't need me. Meaning that he didn't need me to walk with him from the Fay's campsite to the Rayburn's campsite. Ours was in between the stretch and he said he could walk by himself with Mia & Wyatt without an adult. It was probably less than half a mile, but I still didn't feel comfortable even though he's been riding his bike up and down the whole weekend by himself. I still followed. Telling him I was going to our campsite and quickly hid when they looked back. I have to say he really wants to be independent at only age 7 and when he said that I had a stinging feeling in my heart that I hadn't felt before. It made me sad. Sad to see that he doesn't need me all the time. Sad that he is growing up so fast. Sad that I have to slowly let go little by little. But I am proud. Proud of all he's become so far. (He still needs a lot of polishing up-unbeknownst to him). And proud of the potential of what he can become. Strong mind, strong willed, stubborn and smart is what Ryan is. Oh boy.


3 comments:

Jenny said...

LOVE the pictures Mei! And I was totally laughing out loud with your Ryan dilema :) I could totally picture you hiding in the rocks whenever Ryan turned around - haha! He was born independent. He is destined for great things :)

Mei-Ling said...

Thanks Jenny. You always say the nicest things! And it's true, he was born independent.

gina*b said...

Ryan is 7 going on 17! he's so bright and independent, I could only imagine how that stinging in your heart felt like. but I was smiling from ear to ear when you said you were hiding so that he wouldn't see you. you are an awesome mom & ninja! :-)