Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tuesday: Castle Memorial Hospital & Kailua Beach

In the morning we headed to Kailua in search for Castle Memorial Hospital. I dropped stephen off so he could get his Venous Doppler done and headed to the beach with the kids. We find Kailua Beach and the kids head straight for the water. Being by myself with the kids and ocean I felt a little nervous to say the least. The waves on the shore were strong and I was worried about them getting engulfed by it. Ryan was good but Mia kept going out further and further. I was a nervous nelly. Eventually she got toppled over and under by a wave and we were out of there. 2 little kids and 1 adult at the beach...not so smart. As we started packing up Stephen called for us to go pick him up. THANK GOODESS! People around us at the beach probably thought I was crazy for traveling with 2 young kids by myself. I got a few pictures though.




Stephen's diagnosis is truly a DVT. It's below but behind his knee. He then had to go to the doctor up by where we're staying so they can get the results of the doppler and prescribe his medications. That was a mess in its own. We called 5 different pharmacies to see if they had his Lovenox injections and finally we found one in Kaneohe. Again we had to drive south for his meds. So now Stephen is on blood thinners (coumadin & Lovenox injections twice a day). Poor guy, he hates shots, his leg is swollen and he's in pain.

Fo dinner since we were sort of in the area so we ate @ Buzz's Restaurant. A delicious place right off of Kailua beach. Stephen and I really enjoyed our meals. Thanks Sheri for recommendation!



The drives wouldn't be so bad around here if the speed limits were more than 35 mph, but with all the streets and people walking around it takes awhile to get from one town to the next. There is one freeway on this island that goes 60mph. At least the scenery makes it a nice drive.

After dinner we went back home so Stephen could rest his leg. I'm thankful we're still in the USA. I can't imagine if were out of the country trying to get medical care. Thankfully our insurance covers this too. Tomorrow is a new day!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

i was thinking the same thing - thank god for insurance. hope steve is ok.

and yes you are a brave and crazy mama to take them to the beach by yourself! but aren't you glad you did?

it's so cool reading about your vacation! totally wish i was there with you :)

Jocelyn S. Lomahan said...

oh mei...you are my hero!